I have a 2000 Honda Accord EX 3.0L V6 and I am in love with it. At the moment I am not working so money is tight but I do anything I can in order to make sure the car is in good condition. It's a Honda and so it is reliable.
So today I did a coolant swap. The previous owner had a green coolant in there. Honda's Antifreeze is a 50/50 premixed solution which is Blue. I also noticed that the car temperature used to rise to a little more than 50 % on the gauge and stay there, so I was worried. Therefore, I decided I needed to put in the OEM one. Now, here's what I did.
- Loosened the radiator drain plug
- Had a 8 quart oil pan underneath it.
- Loosened the radiator plug
- Used a turkey baster like device to remove old coolant from the reservoir tank while the coolant from the radiator drained.
- Once it was reduced to a trickle I turned on the engine and turned on the heat.
- The temperature climbed up fast but I also so more green coolant drain out.
- Let the car cool down.
- Opened the radiator valve and put in a funnel. Started pouring the new coolant and saw it leave the radiator from below.
- Tightened and closed the radiator drain plug and then poured all the coolant in through the top.
- It took 1.25 Gallon in the radiator and another .25 in the reservoir.
- Always use gloves no matter what. Get a good pair of glasses as well.
- Leave the phone in your car, it's a distraction
- Get a funnel with a stable cork to fit around the radiator cap
- Use a lot of newspapers beneath your car
- Hoist the vehicle on the left to give your hand more space to work the drain plug.
- Get a better jack hydraulic that works
- use a lot of paper towels around the container you're working (radiator or the reservoir) to avoid spilling antifreeze on your car components
- Always carry extra empty gallon containers to put in old coolant. At least 2
- Carry a big cloth sheet with you at all times, it helps a lot in many ways.
That's just the coolant part. I also fixed (well the rain will tell) a leak in the left tail light. Water used to sneak in and when I raised the trunk it used to come out of the light sockets. I was afraid it might short something but it didn't. So I took a bunch of silicone sealant and used it every where around the light itself. The light is fairly easy to take off. I used an 8mm socket with wrench and removed three screws. The weather is bad here so I will know for sure if the sealant worked.
Now to the tranmsission fluid. I did a lot of work just to find that the transmission fluid was fairly red. I mean yes it has become darker but it wasn't like the dark sludge I imagined it would be. So I just got the OEM transmission fluid ATF - DW1 from Honda (expensive) and then when I finally checked the transmission state it was not as bad. It was running a little low so I put a little more to bring it to the optimum level. I think for that I need more tools, so I am going to have somebody do it for me. I can't afford to keep piling more stuff. It will be a real problem when I move.
But now my car is running just fine. I saw that the temperature is not climing as much (fairly less than before) and I am confident that I can go on very long drives soon. Good lessson.